2016 Physician Leadership Institute Materials for all sessions posted below.
For information on the 2016 PLI individual sessions and speakers, please click HERE.
To register for the 2016 PLI, click HERE - Registration for the 2016 class is now closed.
Attention PLI participants: This page will be updated regularly throughout the course of the program. Please check back before each session for updates.
Reminders for PLI participants:
- Attire for all five Saturday sessions is casual. Please dress comfortably.
- These will be working sessions, with much interaction and discussion. Viewing the posted materials and readings in advance is recommended.
- There will be a 30-minute lunch break with a box lunch provided each session (along with snacks and beverages). Please let us know as soon as possible via email if you have any special dietary needs.
- Each session will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. and end no later than 2:00 p.m. You may arrive as early as 8:00 a.m.
- Facilities – the classes will be held in Anders’ offices at 800 Market Street, Suite 500, St. Louis MO
- Parking – Park in the Stadium West Garage on any non-reserved level. Bring your parking ticket with you to class for validation. Take the elevator or stairs in the garage to the yellow level (bridge) and enter the Bank of America building. You will be asked to sign in/out at the security desk. Security will direct you to Anders offices. The training area is called The Nest and it will be to your left as you ascend the escalators.
Session 1: FOUNDATIONS OF HEALTHCARE - (February 13, 2016)
Overall program suggested reading:
Creating a Culture of "We" - Investing in Physician Leaders
7 Steps to Achieve Physician-Hospital Alignment, Collaboration
1A - Future of Health Care: How Do You Fit In? (Kathleen McCarry & Brian McCook)
PP Presentation: Future of Health Care 2016
Suggested reading list (four articles):
Link to suggested readings (McCarry/McCook)
1B - Technology's Prevalence in Healthcare (Derrick Weisbrod)
PP Presentation: Technology's Prevalence in Healthcare
(1) A Framework For Success
(2) Steps to Prep for Phase 2 OCR Audits
(3) What is Company Culture, and How Do You Change It?
1C - Traits of Successful Leaders (Dr. Chris Bowe)
How To Become A Corporate Board Member
1D - Physicians as Leaders (Dr. Rik Nemanick)
PP Presentation: Physicians as Leaders 2016
The Value of Physician Leadership
Session 2: FINANCE AND REVENUE - (February 27, 2016)
2A - Legal Issues That Impact Your Practice (Stu Vogelsmeier)
PP Presentation: Legal Issues Impact 2016
(1) Payment for Referrals: It's Still Not a Good Idea
(2) How Much Flexibility Do I Have in Billing The Patient?
(3) Stark Law Refresher
2B - Impact of Documentation and Coding on the Provider Organization (Rose Dunn)
PP Presentation: Impact of Documentation and Coding
(1) The AMDIS Consensus Recommendations to Industry
(2) Links to other suggested reading materials (12 articles)
(3) Link to physician documentation guidelines
2C - No Margin, No Mission (Chris Keefe)
PP Presentation: No Margin, No Mission
2D: Effective Revenue Cycles Are No Accident (Jerrie Weith)
PP Presentation: Effective Revenue Cycles (2016)
(1) PCI Data Storage Do's and Don'ts
(2) Seven Revenue-Driving Best Practices
(3) Cash Flow Is Every Practice Manager's Responsibility
(4) Optimizing Patient Collections
(5) Ten Tips to Getting Paid at Your Medical Practice
(6) Develop a System to Collect Patient Credit Card Information
Session 3: PRACTICE MANAGEMENT - (March 12, 2016)
3A: Exploring the Physician-Manager Partnership (panel presentation)
No suggested reading
3B: Human Resources - Maximizing Our ROI on Our #1 Investment (O'Neal)
PP Presentation: HR Law Update
(1) EEOC Broadens Its Reach
(2) OT Rule
3C: Physician Balance - Life and Patients (Dr. Stuart Slavin)
PP Presentation: Physicians and Life Balance
PERMA: A Model for Institutional Leadership and Culture Change
3D: Meaningful Dialogue: Enhancing Patient-Physician Communications (Dave Nowak)
PP Presentation: Meaningful Dialogue (2016)
(1) Doctor, Shut Up and Listen
(2) The Talking Cure for Health Care
(3) Dealing with Dr. Google: Why Communication is Key
(4) Why Patient Portals Remain Healthcare's Enigma
Session 4: RISK AND COMPLIANCE - (April 2, 2016)
4A: Population Health Management and Its Impact on Your Future (Eric Vanderhoef)
PP Presentation: Population Healthcare Management For Physicians
(1) Population Healthcare and Medicare Advantage Revenue
(2) How to Define Population Healthcare
(3) Compliance and Population Healthcare in a Primary Care Physician"s Practice
(4) CMS Quality Measurements for Medicare Advantage - The Red Herrings of Healthcare
4B: What Would You Do? A Risk Management Discussion (Jim Bowlin, Kevin Rejent)
PP Presentation: What Would You Do?
(1) Breach Notification Rule
(2) Communication is the Key: Take Small Steps to Avoid Big Problems
4C: Pay For Performance: What's Next? (Mike Fondell)
PP Presentation: Pay for Performance: What's Next
Crosswalk of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015
4D: Physicians and Ethics - You Bet! (Dr. Ira Kodner)
PP Presentation: Physicians and Ethics 2016
(1) Medical Ethics: Tough Issues!
(2) Ethical and Legal Considerations (Chapter 53)
Session 5: LEADERSHIP SKILLS - (April 23, 2016)
5A: Strategies for Survival (Karen Schechter)
PP Presentation: Strategies for Survival
(1) Six Big Trends To Watch in Health Care for 2016
(2) Streamlining Your Practice for Profitability & Success
(3) Practice Fitness: Building a Value-Based Foundation
5B: The Fork in the Road (Dr. Joseph Craft and Dr. Denise Hooks-Anderson)
No suggested pre-reading
5C: Collaboration and Engagement - More Than Buzzwords (Panel Presentation with Dr. Michael Beat, Dr. Charles Ettelson, Dr. David Pohl and Scott Johnson)
No suggested pre-reading
5D: Leadership: Where Do We Go From Here? (Dr. Rik Nemanick)
PP Presentation: Leadership: Where Do We Go From Here?
(1) The Key to Giving and Receiving Negative Feedback
5E: Improving Our Industry - Implementing What We've Learned (Kathleen McCarry, Dave Nowak, Jerrie Weith)
No suggested pre-reading